Sunshine Carrot and Ginger Soup
We had this soup for our 2016 harvest volunteer lunch in September. Everyone loved it! The yellow carrots make it a brilliant yellow colour so it’s as pretty as it is delicious. This is a vegan soup, if you haven’t had a chance to try a vegan meal before this one is easy and suitable for all tastes.
- ¾ cup raw cashews, soaked for 30 min, drained and rinsed
- 2 lbs. Yellowstone carrots, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped or grated
- Thumb-sized piece of ginger, chopped
- 2 litres vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp. organic extra-virgin coconut oil
Sauté onion until translucent, add celery, garlic and ginger and sauté for 1 minute then the carrots. Cover with vegetable stock and cook for 20 minutes. Add cashews and then puree until smooth.
Glazed Maple Syrup Nutri-Red Carrots
- 1 lb. Nutri-red carrots, chopped evenly in 2 cm lengths or 1 cm coins
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger, optional
Place chopped carrots in saucepan and add salted cold water to cover, simmer for approximately 20-25 minutes and drain. Add butter to the saucepan to melt, then add the grated ginger and maple syrup. Return the carrots to the pan and cook over low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serves 4 as a side dish
- 2 lb. Yellowstone and Nutri-red carrots, chopped diagonally
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 3 sprigs fresh or 1 tsp dry thyme
- 1 tbsp. butter or olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350F
Place carrots in roasting pan, sprinkle with zest and juice. Add thyme and butter or oil. Roast for 25-30 min.